So I have been pretty busy lately with working and trying to organize a work schedule. I actually have multiple projects/ places to work so I'm not at the same place every day. I have about half my time in Historic Beverly helping the exhibit designer finish the last of a series of exhibits that he has been working on for about two years. I'm excited to learn more about the exhibit process and help finish the really great exhibits that are at the museum.
The other majority of my time will be spent doing collections management at the Upshur County Historical Society in Buckhannon, WV. For a small historical society, they have a massive collection that needs to be put into and electronic format. They also have a museum open during the summer with new exhibits every year. Hopefully I'll be able to help with that some as well.
Finally, a small amount of my time will be done doing hands-on historic preservation work. I have only worked on that one day so far, but I got to use power tools and learn how to frame a wall. But I learned that I am pretty bad with a hammer. My co-workers just think that I need some practice to get better. We also have workshops and training sessions to learn how to do preservation trades. Last weekend we went to Hinton, WV to learn about masonry. I was again learning things that I had never really thought to think about - like how to appropriately match new mortar with the original mortar of a building.
Right now a lot of time is being spent on the Mountain State Forest Festival which turns Elkins into a crazy town with lots of people! More on that later...
Eliza’s Birth Story
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment