Every year, Elkins is home to the Mountain State Forest Festival (aka Forest Fest). It involves Elkins growing in size from 6,000 people to 20,000; a lumberjack competition; multiple parades; a carnival; the crowning of "Queen Silvia" and more. Sounds like fun, right?
Well, now I officially feel like an Elkins local because I do not like Forest Fest. The people walking around the streets make me nervous and uncomfortable, the parades involve streets being blocked off and lots of fire trucks (not to mention all the trash that got left on my lawn after people sat on it to watch the parades), the carnival means there are a lot of sketchy people around town, and the crowning of a 'beauty' queen isn't really that exciting. But by far the worst part was a speaker that was playing a country music radio station outside of my house. It wasn't all the time, but it was at 8am on Saturday morning. And I felt like I was in 1984 and Big Brother was watching and playing commercials about why coal is awesome.
I guess a benefit is that it brings money to Elkins. But I won't be in Elkins again during Forest Fest if I'm not forced to.
Eliza’s Birth Story
12 years ago
Hej, Kristina, jag kom plötsligt på att jag inte hade kollat din blog på länge. Så kul med lite bilder på ditt hus! Det ser jättefint ut. Kan inte vänta tills nästa vecka då vi kommer upp och förhoppningsvis får lyssna till en liten konsert!! Jag förstår dina känslor för festivalen. Det är jobbigt med för mycket skränande människor.
ReplyDelete