I just got back from visiting my friend Maribeth who lives in Denver. If you have read my other blog, you'll know her as someone I met in Chile and visited me in Sweden and Germany last summer.
My trip out to Denver was fun on so many levels, but it was also a learning experience. Maribeth started an AmeriCorps VISTA position with Growing Home, a non-profit that helps children and their families, last January. Although I had already heard about AmeriCorps options, Maribeth's experience made me want to look into what possibilities there were. After research and searching, that's how I found the AFHA.
The first piece of advice Maribeth imparted on me was about food assistance. In one interview for an AmeriCorps position I had, they said straightforward that the living stipend was low enough to qualify for food stamps. I figured that at less than $12,000 a year for living, that made sense.
I had no idea how food stamps worked or what the process was to qualify. Luckily, Maribeth had already gone through the experience, which sounded actually more like a complex process, and could give me some pointers. Although it is different for each state, after doing some research, it seems like I will have to go through an equally complex application process, which probably won't start until a month or two after I have started my position.
This coming Sunday and Monday I will get a better idea about the coming year because I will be visiting Elkins. I am going to meet with the director of the AFHA, checking out Elkins, and possibly finding a place to live!
Eliza’s Birth Story
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment