Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Elkins Overview

So next year I will be in Elkins. Here is some basic information about Elkins (which I probably should have looked up before I visited this weekend):

Elevation: 1,926ft. (But to get there, you have to climb above 3,500 ft.)
Population: about 7,000 (Elkins is also home to Davis and Elkins College, which has about 700 students.)
Founded: 1890 and named after Senator Stephen Benton Elkins.

It is located on the edge of the Monongahela National Forest, which has a lot of outdoor recreation opportunities. In town, the railroad depot serves as a tourist attraction with trains that take trips throughout the summer. In the past, this depot was run by the Western Maryland Railway for both commercial and passenger trains.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, looking forward to reading more about your time in WV!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to have you blogging again!

    ReplyDelete