


AmeriCorps is a program of the federal government that works with local and national nonprofit groups to address critical needs throughout the U.S. The three types of programs (State and National; Volunteers in Service to America; National Civilian Community Corps) serve all types of communities throughout the U.S. in a variety of different ways. To learn more about AmeriCorps in general, click here.

In September, I will be going to Elkins, West Virginia to serve with the Appalachian Forest Heritage Area. "The Appalachian Forest Heritage Area (AFHA) is a regional, grassroots effort to integrate central Appalachian forest history, culture, natural history, products, and forestry management into a heritage tourism initiative to promote rural community development" located across 18 counties in West Virginia and western Maryland.
What will I be doing? I'm not exactly sure yet. The AFHA will have 17 AmeriCorps volunteers serving in positions of heritage tourism development, conservation, and historic preservation projects. I was drawn to the AFHA because of my interest in public history, museums, and hsitoric interpretation. I am looking forward to learning a lot and helping the community while doing something I really enjoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment